Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Top 5 World Problems

Top 5 Most Serious Problems:

1. Terrorism
2.War
3. Poverty
4. Starvation
5. Pollution

When ranking these problems, I struggled between putting terrorism or war first. Some might consider them interchangeable, but they are not. I decided to put terrorism first because while war is horrible, it is usually soldiers of one army fighting against soldiers of another. In terrorism, the terrorists go out of their way to torture and persecute innocent civilians and bystanders. Next, I put poverty above starvation because people not being able to provide themselves means that they also cannot eat. If there was no poverty, starvation would also cease to exist. Lastly, While pollution may not seem like a pertinent matter right now, it is incredibly serious because of the future implications for the world if we do not do something about it.

Top 5 Solutions

1. Pollution - laws to make it illegal, and implementing more modern technology that eliminates air toxins
2. Starvation - programs to encourage selflessness with food, better awareness of the major problems
3. Poverty - same as starvation, with programs that focus on shelter and providing jobs as well as encouraging selflessness with food
4. Terrorism - working on international relations with a focus on religious and racial tolerance
5. War - promotions of international relations

Unfortunately, it was difficult to rank these solutions because I do not see any of them as easily implementable. The reasoning behind the ordering was based off of what required the most work, although they were all close calls. I find it extremely telling that my ranking of most important problems and ranking of most implementable solutions are almost exactly reversed. It shows that the smaller problems are usually the easiest to solve, and it takes more work and more critical thinking to solve the big ones.


3 comments:

  1. Kate, your top 5 problems are all very concerning in today's society and I even included war and pollution in my top 5. I agree with you on how difficult it is to implement solutions to such far reaching problems. Obviously, that is why they have yet to be solved. I took a shot at solving my top 5 problems in my blog post. Here's the link: http://jakeryanentrepreneur.blogspot.com/2016/01/top-5-world-problems.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kate!

    I loved the picture you chose for this post! I also very much enjoy your blog and I enjoyed reading your post about whats happening in the world. All of the problems you chose are all very important and it was nice to see that we had similar issues. I think everyone does because these problems are so important! I feel like you could have been more specific on how to solve these problems. I think the way you ranked these issues were perfect! Very lovely post!

    I hope you can check out my blog!
    http://mialasagna.blogspot.com/2016/01/top-5-world-problems.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Kate!

    First off, I LOVE the picture you chose to include on this blog post! I saw that we included a lot of the same topics as big world problems such as, hunger, pollution and terrorism. I agree that war and terrorism are tough to decide which one is a bigger problem, as sometimes those issues go hand in hand. Overall I really enjoyed reading about your blog post! Here's the link to my bog in case you want to check it out: Hi there Danielle! I really enjoyed reading about your rankings of the top 5 biggest problems and the top 5 problems that are hardest to implement. I agree with the way you listed the problems on your blog and I saw that we have some similar rankings! Here's the link to my blog if you want to check it out: http://lbritthoff.blogspot.com/2016/01/top-5-world-problems.html

    ReplyDelete