Sunday, January 31, 2016

Interviewing Customers No.1

       I realized this opportunity completely out of the blue this past week. My parents were in Dubai on vacation, and I started missing them more than usual since I couldn't simply call and chat. I then started thinking about how often other college students not only miss their parents when they're away, but also the perks that come with them. I then got to my apartment and saw my massive pile of laundry being neglected in the corner of my room, and wished again that I was home so my mom could do it for me. At that moment, I had my big idea. What if there was a restaurant that had wonderful home cooked meals, and also did your laundry while you ate? You could even FaceTime your parents during your home-cooked meal so it was really like you were back with them.

       Obviously the idea needs fine tuning, but I think there's something there. The questions I had were:

  1. How often do you visit home?
  2. Do you wish you could go home more often?
  3. When you are home, what are your favorite perks that you get (besides seeing your family)?
  4. How much would you pay to have your laundry done for you?
  5. Do you miss home cooked meals?
  6. Do you set a time aside to skype or FaceTime your parents on a regular basis?








       After conducting my interviews, I learned that there is definitely a market for home cooked meals, but maybe not for the laundry service as well. I think I should have attempted to interview specifically college freshmen that are still not used to solidarity and would have use for a service like that. For the future, I think I'll focus more on the home-cooked meal portion, and less on laundry. I personally enjoyed interviewing people. Though I got denied many times, I never got too discouraged. Most people on the streets were very polite in both their interviews and in rejections. 

8 comments:

  1. Kate,

    I really like that you already have a solid business idea that you want to do. I was also thinking of doing something that would help students on campus but I haven't yet figured it out. I think many students would be interested in precooked home made meals that they can just warm up. Many students are on the go and don't have time to prepare a meal and many others are either in dorms without the resources or simply don't know how to cook. I think you have a good foundation. I did not complete this assignment so I cant share my link but you should check out the class blog feed and read others blogs for the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea
    i liked your idea because i also miss my parents so much and especially my mom's meals. however, i think it would be very difficult to make this idea in real life since very person eats different kind and different taste of food back at home

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://sardorbek07.blogspot.com/2016/01/interviewing-customers-no-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate,
    this is an awesome idea, so convenient for college students. Never have i thought of a restaurant that can cook you meals while doing your laundry! I am surprised that your interviewees didn't just jump at the idea because living in a dorm i know almost all of the people here wouldn't mind someone doing their laundry as they ate. I think that aside from just freshman, it probably would've been best to just interview college students that are living in a dorm! Overall, great interviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate, I love how you came up with your idea for mom's home cooked meals. You really looked inside of your own life and realized what YOU need. There was another student in our class that came up with an idea for a delivered grocery service, and (like "Beginner Blog's" post) what came to my mind was healthy, pre-cooked meals that could be delivered directly to students. You could have "Mom's" comfort foods prepared and packaged for delivery? There are all sorts of pre-cooked food delivery services, but are you aware of any that are targeted to students? I haven't seen them, but I'm sure that parents of students would love to put their minds at ease - knowing that their son/daughter are eating right...if they could/would pay for that. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea on the surface Kate ! I don't agree that you should disregard the element of the laundry service as together with the idea of "home cooked" meals is exactly what makes this a great idea. To Bek Bekov's response...an a la minute service would work best in order to counteract such objections. By so doing, the students would have the opportunity to customize what ingredients are included in each preparation and hence make it as close to "home" as possible. -Start the laundry, order your meal and have it while you are waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there Kate. I think you have a really interesting, innovative and great idea there! The only stipulation I would have with this idea is that the business would have to take extra regulations ensuring that peoples' belongings wouldn't get stolen or confused with another person's because that could generate a lot of problems. Although it is a very interesting idea for a business, I wonder if someone would want to bring their laundry to a restaurant, worrying about whether they would do a good job cleaning their clothes as well as cooking a meal. I definitely think it could be a great idea just some things to think about!

    ReplyDelete