Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Idea napkin no. 2

I am Kate Andersen. My main talents are customer-service oriented. I have always loved meeting new people, and I make it a priority to go out of my way to help others. I am very confident and passionate, and I tend to be a perfectionist when I attempt a project. I have experience in the service and marketing industries and have just started in the event planning industry. My aspirations are simply to pursue something that challenges me and to keep pushing myself. Regarding my business concept, I feel that starting this unheard of concept will definitely challenge me, while giving me access to the service industry that I love.

2. My idea, "Going Home" offers premium laundry service while you sit and enjoy classical home-cooked meals. College students miss the perks of being back home. The most notable of these perks are the laundry service and home-cooked meals. The restaurant portion differs from other popular "home-cooked meal" restaurants becuase it has limited meal options that differ every day. For example, Tuesday's would be tacos or fettuccine Alfredo, and Wednesday's would be beef stroganoff or fried chicken and mashed potatoes. Also, food is served family style which is not something offered in Gainseville yet. 

3. My target customers live over 3 hours away from campus, have an excellent relationship with their family back home, and/or have busy schedules that prevent them from traveling home regularly. They are also not used to being self-sufficient, whether they've been away from their family for a month or a year. Lastly, we focus on attracting freshman first and foremost. It is easier to retain customers than to bring in new ones. By getting freshman invested in our business from the beginning, we get to capitalize on them coming for all 4 years. 

4. Customers will pay to use my service because everyone loves and desperately misses home-cooked meals, and most people do not want to do their own laundry. In my interviews, when I mentioned home-cooked meals to my customers, they all smiled wistfully. Having food that reminds customers of home is what will get them in the door and keep them coming back.

5. "Going Home" is already a concept that no one has created. There is no notable laundry service that a student knows to use. Our food is not one specific type of cuisine, therefore not alienating anyone who does not like a specific cuisine such as Italian or Mexican. If you are coming in alone, we cater to the technological ability to Skype or FaceTime your family while eating through table side outlets and complimentary high-speed wifi. If you come in with a group of people, our meals are served family style (big servings that the table shares). Both of these dining experiences are unique.


I think there is a major component of my business concept that needs more evaluation. I am not sure if I should focus my concept to be more on a laundry service or a comfort food style restaurant. However, I believe that my personality and drive fit very well with a concept that is centered around customer service. I believe I have found the right target market and I know how to access them. The main feedback points I received were all focused around the same point: people enjoyed my idea. The only constructive criticism I received was asking how I would differ my restaurant plan from places such as Cracker Barrel and bob Evans. I addressed that by pointing out how my restaurant serves food family style with a limited menu. The other feedback was asking if I would focus the business around the laundry or the restaurant. I am not sure how to address this yet, but I am figuring it out. 



4 comments:

  1. Hi Kate!
    I think your business concept sounds very interesting and I know that I personally miss home cooked meals a lot when I'm at school. I think you're right, that it will be hard to find the most economically efficient balance between laundry and food services. How are you planning to offer these services? In a facility designed to feel homey? It sounds cool, and I am interested in the execution of your business venture!

    Check out my blog if you want!

    http://lilliegilmoreent3003.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, this is such a unique and creative idea! I like that you honestly seem to have put a lot of thought into it, and I bet you can relate yourself! I miss being home all of the time and if there were just something to make me feel like I'm back, even just a little, I think that would be awesome. Our idea are definitely similar in that they primarily target college students. Also, I think you write very eloquently and proof-read this quite thoroughly. If you could check mine out that would be awesome, thanks! http://ufentlaurenday.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good evening Kate, I really like your idea! The concept of laundry and a meal is great! This would give students a break from having to do a chore, and also give them a great meal. I know sometimes I need a few extra minutes in the day, and this would be a great way to cover that!
    Check out my blog at:
    http://patrickcrossent3003.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea. This is priceless because of the fact that people spend money based on emotions. Also, there is an underlying factor of because you are bringing all these people together that all feel the same way you are creating bonds at a new favorite place to eat. The laundry is also great because if done in a reasonable time it makes people stay there longer and ordering more food which leads to a her check per person. P.S you should have old ladies as your waitresses lmao. Really great idea.

    Check out my blog at
    http://fernspeaks3493.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-2.html

    ReplyDelete